Dewey Beach - "A Way of Life"
Located just south of Rehoboth Beach, Dewey Beach offers waterfront casual dining, bayside shopping, recreation and nightlife. The town is one mile long and three blocks wide and surrounded by water -- the Atlantic marks the eastern border and Rehoboth Bay sits to the west.
Park your car wherever you can in this small town and walk to its bayside shops and eateries. Enjoy waterfront, casual dining or stay out late for a taste of Dewey nightlife -- truly a tradition.
Important Contact Information
Dewey Beach Town Hall, 105 Rodney Avenue: 302-227-6363
Dewey Beach Police Department (non-emergency): 302-227-1110
PARKING IN DEWEY BEACH
During the summer season (May 15th - September 15th) you must pay to park on all public streets in Dewey Beach. The easiest way to pay for parking is through the Park Mobile App. We highly recommend downloading this free app to your phone prior to visiting with us!
If you plan to stay in Dewey Beach for an extended period of time, you may also pay for a daily, weekend, or weekly parking permit at our automated kiosk located outside of the Town Hall building. Whether you are using the Park Mobile app or kiosk, please make sure to enter all numbers and letters of your license plate correctly (such as PC or CL).
Seasonal parking permits are also available for sale at the Town Hall building. Virtual seasonal permits can be purchased by clicking here.
The majority of parking spaces in Dewey Beach are permit parking, identified with signs marked ZONE 4012. To park here, you must either display a seasonal permit, or pay through Park Mobile or kiosk located at Town Hall. There is a 4-hour minimum time to park in this zone.
All other zones are hourly metered parking, which is identified with signs marked ZONE 4001 through ZONE 4010. To park here, you must pay through Park Mobile or coin meter (not available on all streets).
If you display a handicapped placard or license plate, you may park in ANY zone at no charge. Your placard or plate will serve as your permit.
Street parking is at a premium in Dewey Beach, therefore PARKING REGULATIONS ARE STRICTLY ENFORCED. Please obey the parking rules and signs, feed the meters the quarters for parking usage, use Parkmobile (http://www.townofdeweybeach.com/How-Do-I-Pay-With-ParkMobile/), or get a parking permit. Parking illegally will result in a Parking Summons issued to the vehicle
The town is offering virtual parking permits for the first time. A consecutive eight day weekly permit is $90 and the seasonal
permit is $250; discounts do not apply to seasonal permits at this time. Virtual permits can be purchased at https://deweybeach.t2hosted.com/Account/Portal. The seasonal permit is transferable; up to eight vehicles may be registered for each permit.
PARKING PERMITS: RULES
Vehicles parked on the right-of-way between the hours 10:00 a.m. and 2:00am must either display a permit or be at an operating parking meter.
Parking Permits are in effect May 15 through September 15 from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00am seven (7) days a week, except that there is no need for parking permits to be displayed on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday after 5:00 p.m. This waiver does not apply to holidays which fall on those days.
Parking Meters are in effect from 10am-5pm and 11pm-2am, Monday-Wednesday. And from 10am-2am Thursday-Sunday with free parking in all permit and meter spots from 5-11pm, Monday-Wednesday. Meter rates are $2.50 an hour Monday-Wednesday on all meters. Thursday through Sunday, metered rates will be $3 an hour on all meters capable of variable parking rates, and $2.50 an hour on all other meters. A parking permit is neither required nor valid at metered locations.
PARKING PERMITS: FEES
|WEEKLY (ANY CONSECUTIVE 8 DAYS)||$90|
|1 DAY (For use from Monday-Wednesday)||$15|
|1 DAY (For use from Friday-Sunday or on holidays)||$20|
|WEEKEND (Any three (3) consecutive days)||$45|
Property owners who have paid their Beach Replenishment Tax may purchase up to two (2) Seasonal Permits prior to Memorial Day for $150.00 each. Local business owners may purchase the permits at the property-owner price under certain conditions; see ordinance #657.
PARKING PERMITS: PURCHASING
- By mail: Seasonal Permits may be purchased by check through the mail. However, permits purchased must be picked up at the Town Hall; they will not be mailed. A form is provided for your convenience to fill out and send in with your application. Click here for the form.
- In person: Seasonal permits are available at Town Hall Monday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Permits are available for cash at the Town Hall Monday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m
- Parking permit dispensing machines are at the entrance to the town hall and available at all times . Credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover) may be used to purchase any type of permit except seasonal. Note that these permits are in decal form and are not transferrable from one vehicle to another.
A $50.00 fee will be charged on any check returned because of Non-sufficient Funds.
Lost or stolen parking permits can be replaced one (1) time at half the original cost, provided the Police Department is notified and a report filed.
Failure to pay a parking fine within the prescribed time can result in a $35 fine increasing to $120, a$70 fine increasing to $145 and a $100 fine increasing to $175; the vehicle is also subject to the Town's "Scofflaw" List.
It is the responsibility of property owners to designate private (off street) parking for their guests or tenants (as governed by the laws of the Town). As a general rule, telephone poles mark the line between the right-of-way (where permits are required) and private property.
Fines may be paid at the town hall (24/7 from May 15 to September 15) or by mail. Payment may be made by check or money order payable to the Town of Dewey Beach. Do not mail cash. MasterCard and Visa credit card payments are also accepted. Late fee penalties apply on all delinquent tickets not paid within the designated period.
To protest a parking ticket, you must appear in person at Alderman Court # 36, 105 Rodney Avenue (the same building as Town Hall) within 3 days of the date on the ticket. Parking Court is held on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday at 4:00 p.m. during the summer season. Protests of parking violation Summons ARE NOT accepted by phone call or in writing. A court cost of up to $50.00 will apply to protested tickets held valid.
The Summer Season is the period beginning May 15 and ending September 15.
1. Vehicles parked on the right-of-way between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. during the summer season must display either a valid parking permit or be at an operating parking meter.
2. Double parking is prohibited. Double parking is defined as parking on the roadway side of any vehicle stopped or parked on the shoulder or at the edge or curb of a highway.
3. Vehicles must park with the flow of traffic when parked on streets with parallel parking.
4. Parking in a bus zone is prohibited.
5. Parking perpendicular on a street designated for parallel parking is prohibited.
6. Parking parallel on a street designated for perpendicular parking is prohibited.
7. Parking on the roadway is prohibited.
8. Parking Meters - are in effect May 15 thru September 15 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 a.m. - EXCEPT on Mondays thru Wednesdays 5-11 p.m. when parking is free.
9. Parking within 15 feet of a fire hydrant is prohibited.
10. Parking in front of a public or private driveway is prohibited.
11. Parking in a fire lane is prohibited.
12. Parking at any place where official traffic-control devices prohibit stopping, standing or parking.
13. Parking in a Handicapped Zone is prohibited unless a handicap ID is visible in the vehicle.
14. Parking within 30 feet of a Stop Sign or Intersection is prohibited.
15. Parking on a sidewalk is prohibited.
16. Parking within an intersection is prohibited.
17. Parking where a curb is marked yellow or a yellow line is placed at the edge of a roadway or shoulder is prohibited.
18. Parking within 15 feet of a mailbox is prohibited.
Summer season rules are in effect May 15-September 15.
1. The Town of Dewey Beach has a beach curfew. No persons shall be on the beach between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. during the summer season.
2. No person shall permit a dog or other animal to be on the beach between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. during the summer season.
3. No person shall engage in surf fishing when bathers are within 100 feet, between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. during the summer season.
4. No person shall have a beach fire without receiving a permit and paying the fee ($30 plus a $40 Security Deposit; this $70 must be in cash!)required by the Town of Dewey Beach Fee Schedule. All fires must be extinguished and the beach cleaned up by 11:00 p.m. Any clean-up fee deposit not used shall be refundable after 1:00 p.m. the day following the permitted fire. Seasonal permits may be revoked for failure to comply with the regulations. Upon revocation, fees paid shall not be refundable.
5. No person shall keep, anchor, maintain, or permit any boat owed or operated by him to be kept, anchored, or maintained on any public beach within the Town of Dewey Beach between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. during the summer season without the previous written consent of the Commissioners of Dewey Beach.
6. No person shall launch, land, or permit any boat owned or operated by him to be launched or landed, on or from the beach or strand of the Town of Dewey Beach between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. during the summer season.
7. No person shall be permitted to swim out to or in from a boat off the beach at any time.
8. No vehicles shall be driven on the beach during the summer season, except those operated by police, fire, emergency, town, beach concessionaires under contract, or other authorized municipal or state vehicle on official business. During the off season all vehicles must conform to the licensing and equipment as required by the State and must enter and exit at Chicago Street.
9. All volleyball activities and games shall be restricted to designated volleyball area as established by the Town of Dewey Beach. The designated volleyball area shall be identified by the location of the volleyball posts and/or by the official signs governing beach rules and identifying recreational areas.
10. No private volleyball posts may be erected on public beach areas.
11. Between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on weekends and holidays all sport activities involving airborne objects other than volleyball and sports involving adults or teenagers over the age of 13 shall be prohibited. The term "sports activities" shall include any physical activity which, as a result of the activity, could cause physical harm to another individual. Exempt from the provisions of this ordinance are all sports activities involving a mother and/or a father, or guardian, who is playing with a child under the age of 13.
12. No person shall use a surfboard or skimboard, or any other type of water sport device that is constructed with non-flexible material within 100 feet of bathers. Between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on weekends and holidays the use of these devices shall also be prohibited.
13. No person or persons shall be permitted in the beach or within the waters of the Atlantic Ocean contiguous to the beach within the town limits of Dewey Beach during the time period when the Captain of the Dewey Beach Patrol has declared the beach and the waters of the Atlantic Ocean contiguous to the beach unsafe for use.
14. The following are prohibited on the beach:
-NEW Smoking is banned on the beach, the dune area and crossovers. Fine of $50 along with $50 in court costs. If cigarette butt is dropped on the sand there's an added littering violation.
-Glass bottles or glass containers
-More than 3 beverage containers unless in bulk metal or hard plastic containers
-More than 3 empty beverage or food containers. The person closest to such containers are presumed to be their owner and responsible for such containers.
DEWEY BEACH MUNICIPAL CODE FOR THE SUMMER SEASON
Animal Noise Ordinance: $25 dollar fine for pet owners who cannot control their barking dogs or screeching cats between the hours of 11pm and 7am.
Dog licenses required in Dewey year-round.
From May 15 through Sept. 15, dogs are allowed on the beach before 9:30 a.m. and after 5:30 p.m. From Sept. 16 through May 14, dogs are allowed on the beach anytime from 5:30 a.m. to 1 a.m. Doggy bags are available at each street at the entrance to the beach (blue boxes). Owners will be fined for not picking up after their dogs. The fine for the first offense is $95, then $200 for each subsequent offense.
Dog ambassadors will be patrolling the beach to check for and sell dog licenses if needed; if owners don’t have their wallets they can use Apple Pay or Google Pay, and can present their email receipt to town hall to pick up a tag; lifetime permits can also be mailed. Three-day dog licenses are $5, eight-day licenses are $10 and lifetime permits are $35. Commemorative lifetime tags are $50. Dog licenses can also be purchased online, at the kiosk in front of town hall, or inside town hall.
Curfew for Minors-No minor shall remain in or upon any public place between the hours of 11pm and 5am of the following day except on Fridays and Saturdays when the curfew shall be from 12:00 Midnight to 5:00am.
Disorderly Houses are prohibited. Convictions may lead to a tenant's eviction, and the owner could be subject to the loss of his/her Rental License. To report a disorderly house or noise emanating from a commercial establishment, call the Dewey Beach Police Department at: (302) 227-1110.
Occupancy Limits are two (2) persons per bedroom, plus a maximum of two (2) additional persons allowed in a general living area.